About the Summer Rhythm Renewal
A Message From Our Director
This event us currently on hiatus.
The Summer Rhythm Renewal is currently on hiatus. In the meantime, check out The Great Rhythm Revival...
Each year I direct several retreats designed to bring like-minded people together to unplug from the everyday world, recharge, learn something new, meet each other, and to enjoy life deeply. On June 28-July 1, 2018 one of these events called the Summer Rhythm Renewal will commence on the pristine mountain campus of Saint Francis University in Loretto, Pennsylvania, just 1:15 east of Pittsburgh. In it's 17th year, the Renewal is a summer mainstay for many participants who return year after year to meet old friends and make new ones.
At the Summer Rhythm Renewal, you will experience a wide range of invigorating, inspiring and educational workshops as well as evening drum & dance jams, optional performance opportunities and a concert by my group Sun King Warriors.
Lastly, we eat well! Our dining services offer a wide range of buffet style food including fresh, locally grown vegetables at our salad bar and a dessert table that is unsurpassed. Lodging and meal plans are available on campus.
If you want to treat yourself to a much deserved recharge, then the Summer Rhythm Renewal is for you.
I hope you will join us! -Jim Donovan
What is the Summer Rhythm Renewal?
THE SUMMER RHYTHM RENEWAL IS...
-a four-day experience that is equal parts revitalizing, connective and educational.
Similar to when you jump start a car battery that has run out of juice, the Summer Rhythm Renewal is designed to provide you with a much deserved "boost" for your mind, body and spirit.
On any given day at the Renewal, you'll have the opportunity to drum, dance, and learn something new with many friendly, like-minded people-even if you are an absolute beginner!
Here is a sample of the many experiences and workshops awaiting you:
- The Wisdom of Rhythm
- West African Djembe
- African Dance
- Ecstatic Dance
- The Music of Life: Percussion & Movement
- Afro-Cuban conga
- Sound Healing
- Nature Journaling
- Drum. Write. Draw.
- Mandala Drawing & Creation
- Shamanic Journey
- Theatrical Improv
- Group Creation and (optional) performance
- Nightly Drum and Dance Jams
- Sun King Warriors concert
- Opportunities for private lessons and wellness sessions
During your time at the Renewal you get:
- Over 30 hours of meticulously designed and powerfully enjoyable experience
- Revitalizing, lifelong skill sets help you feel your best
- Rare opportunities to learn from an array of gifted and compassionate instructors
- Membership in our private Summer Rhythm Renewal network
- A safe, welcoming and accepting atmosphere where you can feel free to just be yourself
- First access to seats @ next year's Renewal
- A beautiful drum to play during drumming sessions
At the Summer Rhythm Renewal we encourage you to take impeccable care of yourself. Here you can take a relaxing walk among century old pine trees, connect and spend time with friends old and new, laugh more than you have in decades, eat well, or even just take a nap... whenever you want.
At the Renewal you can expect gifted, down-to-earth instructors, great food, simple & clean lodging, and a comfortable, accepting atmosphere where you can just be yourself.